I can't reproduce this on Karmic with a source install, but I can on OSX.  The culprit appears to be pluginlib (used by filters/laser_filters), which exposes use of Boost.Filesystem in its header but does not add the Boost.System link flags in its exports.

I've filed a ticket: https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4013

Josh

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Brian Gerkey <gerkey@willowgarage.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:09 AM, Robbie Plankenhorn
<rplankenhorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> My package depends on:
> laser_filters
> sicktoolbox
> std_msgs
> roscpp
> sensor_msgs
> visualization_msgs
> filters

I don't see anything in those packages that should be creating
undefined references to boost::system.  roscpp uses boost::system, but
only internally, and libros.so is linked against libboost_system,
which should work fine.

I could provide more help if you send the verbose output from trying
to build your package:
 VERBOSE=1 make

       brian.