To avoid any confusion: I'm sure Radu meant to say "rosrecord's API."  From the Wiki:

There is not yet a C++ API as part of rosbag. If you need to read or write a bag from within a C++ program, look at the rosrecord C++ programmatic API.

Tim

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Radu Bogdan Rusu <rusu@willowgarage.com> wrote:

Jack O'Quin wrote:
> No, but a question for the ROS community: are there tools to convert
> ROS Image bags to and from AVI format?

There's no tools right now, but it shouldn't be hard to write some. The former (to avi) could be done using
bag_to_images and then mencoder. The latter (from avi) would require you to write something new based on rosbag's record
C++ API.

Cheers,
Radu.