Thanks for your input on this matter.

I have a driver for Player for the Roomba 500 Open Interface. It is divided in 2 layers, the Player driver class and the Open Interface class, both in C++. I would like to use my Open Interface class with a new class on top that I will write by taking a look at your icreate driver for the ROS specific stuff.

I'll be working on this throughout the week, once I have something working I'll share with everyone.

So far we have identified 3 types of interfaces for Roombas.

1) Roomba Serial Control Interface (SCI) for the Roomba 4xx series.
http://www.irobot.lv/uploaded_files/File/iRobot_Roomba_500_Open_Interface_Spec.pdf

2) Roomba Open Interface (OI) for the Roomba 5xx series. We use these here (540 and 560).
http://www.irobot.lv/uploaded_files/File/iRobot_Roomba_500_Open_Interface_Spec.pdf

3) Create Open Interface
http://www.irobot.com/filelibrary/pdfs/hrd/create/Create%20Open%20Interface_v2.pdf

I'm not sure how popular Roombas are among the ROS community, but it would probably be a plus to have a node for the Roomba and Create robots.

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR - University of Coimbra
Portugal

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Trevor Jay <tjay@cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> Trevor, could you confirm or suggest the best way to move forward for
> Roomba support?

I'm not completely familiar with the Roomba's interface, but you
should only have to modify create.py . You'll need to redefine the
format of the sensor messages (lines 48-73) appropriately and you'll
need to change each of the __sendNow calls to use Roomba equivalents.

It shouldn't be too difficult. If we can help further, just let us
know. Of course we'd be be interested in seeing your patch too.
Ideally, a flag could be added to switch between the Create and
Roomba.

_Trevor