Sounds like its working. You can retrieve the map via the service nav_msgs/GetMap or the topic nav_msgs/OccupancyGrid.

Good luck,

Charles

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Jason Byers <jabyers@g.clemson.edu> wrote:
Ok so I drew up the map to scale using the GIMP image editor, and created the YAML file named map.yaml, and ran the command line
rosrun map_server map_server map.yaml
after running roscore in a separate terminal but it just sits idle saying

[ INFO] [1301019197.508222505]: Loading map from image "./riggs_basement_metric.xcf"

and my map's name is riggs_basement_metric.xcf and is in the same package folder as the yaml file. Is the map file supposed to be located somewhere else? Or am I making some kind of error?

Thanks for any help,
Jason

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Charles DuHadway <duhadway@google.com> wrote:
The map is represented as an image file. See http://www.ros.org/wiki/map_server for details on the format. You can use any image editor to create it. The GIMP is what I've used in the past.

Charles

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Jason Byers <jabyers@g.clemson.edu> wrote:
So how would I draw this map in ROS, like is there a certain application or tutorial for it?
Thanks,
Jason

Sure, you can draw a map by hand, or even use an architectural
floorplan.  As long as it's reasonable accurate, and to scale,
localization should work ok.

       brian.