Maybe this is slightly off topic, but it might be very useful to know the bandwidth usage of a single node, or even better if this bandwidth is split among topics/services (advanced feature?). This could be done e.g. by inserting a proxy node between the sender and the receiver, but other ways are possible.

Lorenzo

On 26 October 2011 18:56, Armstrong-Crews, Nicholas - 0447 - MITLL <nickarmstrongcrews@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
Hi Cem,

We're working on network health monitoring for inclusion in the next release (Fuerte). ("we" being the ROS SIGs for IPC and multirobot)

It would be helpful to know more about your use case: what transport statistics you think would be useful, and what nodes would modify behavior as a result.

Thanks!
-Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: ros-users-bounces@code.ros.org [mailto:ros-users-bounces@code.ros.org] On Behalf Of Karan, Cem F USA CIV (US)
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:04 PM
To: ros-users@code.ros.org
Subject: [ros-users] Transport statistics?

Does ROS have a built-in API that collects running transport statistics? I want to know how many messages are lost as a proxy for the quality of the communications link, so I can adapt to worsening communications conditions.  I'd like it if the API was available in Python, but I can work on top of C++ if necessary.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Lorenzo Riano, PhD
Research Associate