On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Ugo Cupcic <ugo@shadowrobot.com> wrote:
+1 for IRC to start discussions. I used to go on ros IRC but stopped as there wasn't anyone around most of the time.

+1 for bringing some life into the ROS IRC chat

-1 for using it for difficult problem solving:
While I would like the use of IRC to give newcomers more help and maybe also to meet for discussing specific topics, I don't see benefits for discussing difficult problems.
In the Q&A and normal forums everybody can add information, when he has time to (thinking about busy workdays/weeks, different time zones etc.). And also the information posted on those sites is more easier to find for people having the same issue.

Marcus

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Claudio Carbone <cla_carbone@tiscali.it> wrote:

Marcus Liebhardt <marcus.liebhardt@yujinrobot.com> wrote:
>One thing I really do miss on the Q&A style forums is a place for
>discussing problems. It's great to ask specific questions people know
>answers to, but finding the root cause of a new problem together with
>others often turns into long lists of comments and/or answers, which do
>not
>really solve the problem. For those situations I would prefer a forum.
>Maybe we can find a way to bring both Q&A and forum together.

Seeing how the POV here is about avoiding lengthy and unfruitful discussions (forum style) but the need to do some discussion still lingers,I would suggest pushing irc a bit more.

There are about 10 people daily on the irc channel, I've ever only saw 2 or 3 saying anything beside me.

I can see that as a decent place for impromptu discussion.

Best regards
Claudio

-- sent from my ParanoidAndroid Nexus with K-9 Mail.

Ugo Cupcic | Shadow Robot Company | ugo@shadowrobot.com
Senior Software Engineer | 251 Liverpool Road |
need a Hand? | London N1 1LX | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/ @shadowrobot

Marcus Liebhardt
Control Engineer
Yujin Robot
ÁÖ¼Ò´ëÇѹα¹ ¼­¿ï½Ã ±Ýõ±¸ °¡»êµ¿ 345-30 ³²¼ºÇÁ¶óÀÚ #601, 153-023.
Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu, Seoul, 153-023, Republic of Korea
Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
Email: marcus.liebhardt@yujinrobot.com
Phone: +82-70-46577073