Author: Eitan Marder-Eppstein
To: ros-users
Subject: Re: [ros-users] Navigation / planning without move_base?
Armin,

It should be possible to run the navfn planner on a static map without
running move_base. Can you try bringing up the costmap with the attached
parameters. I've tested this configuration on my machine and it brings up a
costmap of a static map just fine.

There aren't any tutorials that deal with path planning alone, although
there is extensive documentation on both NavfnROS (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/navfn) and Costmap2DROS (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/costmap_2d) which are the two components of the
navigation stack you want to link together. Basically, you'll create a node
that holds a Costmap2DROS object which is passed to a NavfnROS object for
planning. You can always look at the source code for move_base to get an
idea of what you need to do, though move_base uses a plugin architecture
which means it will never refer to a NavfnROS planner explicitly. Instead,
it will refer to a BaseGlobalPlanner instance that NavfnROS inherits from,
but the API will be the same.

Hope this helps,

Eitan

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Armin Hornung <