Author: User discussions
To: User discussions
Subject: Re: [ros-users] Portal page for interoperability with other systems (SciPy, Matlab, LabView, etc)
Hey Patrick,

I agree that a page at ros.org would be very useful. Perhaps my response
below would be better suited as a comment to the answers.ros posting but
I'll put it here anyway...

Regarding communication between Matlab & ROS, a colleague of mine here at
Penn, Nathan Michael, actually wrote a 'bridge' between them using IPC. You
can use the bridge to publish and subscribe to any topic of currently
supported message types. In my opinion, it's a very impressive
infrastructure that he set up and it works very well. I'm TAing a course in
which I have the students install it and use it for their projects for
faster development on their projects.

The whole software is two stacks that you need to add to your
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH and compile. I managed to throw in IPC as a ros package so
that 'central' can be brought up from within a launch file as well. One
launch file (that you can obviously include in your standard launch files
that you bring up) is all it takes to bring up central and the bridging
nodes. I ROSified it as much as possible.

You can check out some tutorials I wrote at the links below.

*Tutorial on IPC-Bridge:*
https://alliance.seas.upenn.edu/~meam620/wiki/index.php?n=Roslab.IpcBridge

*Subscribing to Kinect image topics in Matlab:*
https://alliance.seas.upenn.edu/~meam620/wiki/index.php?n=Roslab.KinectMatlab

I hope that helps somewhat,
-- ben

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Patrick Bouffard <