Author: User discussions
To: User discussions
Subject: [ros-users] rviz is moving to Qt, preview available
Rviz is moving from the wxWidgets library to the Qt library as of the ROS
Fuerte release. This transition to Qt will improve RViz compatibility on
more platforms and better integrate with future GUI tools. For more
information on the motivation for these changes, please refer to the RViz
and ROS GUI SIGs:

http://ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning/rviz
http://ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning/ROS%20GUI

This is a fairly big change to the code. The internal plugin API
is changed and the Python API will be different (when I get
it implemented). The GUI appears and behaves mostly the same as the
wx version, most of the differences coming from the differences in style
between wx and Qt and not from intentional changes. For a list of major
changes, see visualization_experimental/ChangeList<http://www.ros.org/wiki/visualization_experimental/ChangeList>
.

An early but fairly complete, version of the new code is available in the
temporary "visualization_experimental<http://www.ros.org/wiki/visualization_experimental>"
stack, which works with ROS Electric. It is available in
the ros-electric-visualization-experimental debian package. This
version does not have python support implemented yet, but all the
built-in display types, tools, and view controllers work. I encourage
rviz users to try the new version (called rviz_qt for now) before Fuerte
so I can fix bugs and make the transition as smooth as possible.

Please report bugs and feature requests to the same place as usual for
rviz, but with "qt" in the keywords field, like so: report a
bug<https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/newticket?component=visualization&type=defect&keywords=qt>,
request a feature<https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/newticket?component=visualization&type=enhancement&keywords=qt>,
list existing tickets<https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=visualization&keywords=~qt>
.