Author: User discussions
To: User discussions
Subject: Re: [ros-users] ROS_HOME and rosinstall
On 02/03/2012 12:12 AM, Ken Conley wrote:
> A 'ROS_BINARY_DIR' doesn't make much sense to me as it's irrelevant
> whether or not its binary or not.

Call it something else if you want. You called the files "Generated
program resources"
so maybe ROS_GENERATED_PROGRAM_RESOURCES_DIR.
> So, for me at least, it's mainly a question of whether or not we:
>
> a) have programs be responsible for their own scoping, e.g. detecting
> the distro
> b) shift ROS_HOME around to provide scoping
>
> I'm starting to lean more towards (a) because I think it provides more
> flexibility in the long term.

A ROS_GENEREATED_PROGRAM_RESOURCES_DIR var does not
shift ROS_HOME around.

However, inhttps://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/3716 ,
we already considered a different solution like (a), and if that
were implemented, and Maven worked out for rosjava,
this would leave no problems for the time being.