Author: Ken Conley
To: Jack O'Quin
CC: ros-release
Subject: Re: [Ros-release] Which is the correct genmsg_py.py?
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Jack O'Quin <> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Ken Conley <> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Jack O'Quin <> wrote:
>>> I have several packages that I need to support on both Electric and
>>> Fuerte. This involves switching back and forth between those two
>>> distributions.
>>
>> NOTE: when switching, it's best to use a brand new shell to ensure no
>> accidental environment cross over.  The more dangerous is going from
>> Fuerte->Electric, because Fuerte makes many more libraries
>> path-accessible (e.g. Python).
>
> You are right about that. I have to be *very* careful making the
> switch, either direction.
>
>>> That works better now, but some things about message generation still
>>> confuse me.
>>>
>>>  * Is the pip installed genmsg-0.1.5 package for Fuerte only, or is it
>>> also a replacement for the Electric version?
>>
>> Do not pip install genmsg.  Only use the version that comes in the
>> Debian build.  pip will install into your main PYTHONPATH, instead of
>> the sandboxed path.  The debian build uses a prefix install of genmsg.
>>
>> The new genmsg is for Fuerte only.
>
> I uninstalled the pip version and removed the /usr/local files.

Sorry for the inconvenience. To prevent others from falling into the
pip trap, I have unregistered the gen* packages with PyPI. They were
originally there to do standalone verification during integration
bringup. I can't think of a useful reason for keeping them there, so
I have removed them.

- Ken

>>>  * It is tricky to get the "correct" $PATH set up for both distros.
>>> What is the recommended $PATH and genmsg_py.py version?
>>
>> It looks to me like you may have pip installed genpy as well.  That
>> needs to be removed.  Unfortunately, pip uninstall does not remove
>> executable symlinks, so you need to remove /usr/local/bin/genmsg*
>
> I did `pip uninstall genpy`, as well.
>
>> NOTE: Electric does not use PATH to find genmsg_* scripts, it looks
>> inside of the ROS package.  Only Fuerte is affected by the extra pip
>> install.
>
> OK. I'll give it a try using the changes you suggest.
>
> I will rebuild all my working trees, just to clean them.

Thibault Kruse is looking into another solution re: environment
variables that may enable setup scripts to undo the effects of
previous setup scripts. This is definitely an annoyance with really
bad side effects.

Thanks for the feedback,
- Ken