Author: User discussions
To: ros-users
Subject: [ros-users] Build ROS from source without using default ffmpeg in Ubuntu 12.10
Hi, all:

My environment:
OS: Ubuntu 12.10
OpenCV: 2.4.5 release
PCL: 1.6.0 release (built from source)
ffmpeg: 1.2 release (built from source)
VTK: 5.10.1 release (built from source)
boost: 1.50.0 (installed from the repository)

There are some reasons that I really don't want to use the default
ffmpeg -- libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libswscale-dev
VTK 5.8.0
boost 1.49
from the default repository.

Now here comes my question:

I did have my ffmpeg 1.2 installed:
please refer to http://visionopen.com/questions/ffmpeg.png
and vtk 5.10.1 installed
http://visionopen.com/questions/vtk.png

but, when I tried to install ROS from source (refer to
http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Installation/Source),
the following command
:*~/ros_catkin_ws$ rosdep install --from-paths src --ignore-src --rosdistro
groovy -y*
still requires the following packages:
*libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libswscale-dev libvtk5-dev
libvtk5.8*

I'm thinking at least, there is something like in CMake which lets me to
select my own path/directory, rather than setup by *ROS* itself. There
should be existing such a freedom to let me specify which version and which
directory of ffmpeg, which version and which directory of vtk.
But, according to http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Installation/Source, I
can't find such a freedom. Can anybody help to let me know how to build *ROS
from source* based on the dependencies that I myself am able to specify?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

--

Pei JIA