Author: User discussions
To: User discussions
Subject: Re: [ros-users] cartesian trajectories
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Mrinal Kalakrishnan <>wrote:

> Let me correct that. We actually don't use a specific
> "CartesianTrajectory" msg any more. Instead, we have a generic
> "Trajectory" msg, which has a list of dimension names and
> TrajectoryPoints - which makes it very similar to a JointTrajectory
> msg. We then agree upon a naming scheme, like "r_hand_cart_x",
> "r_hand_cart_force_x", and "r_hand_cart_gain_x" and so on. This allows
> us to synchronize the execution of cartesian positions, forces and
> gains (impedances), on multiple end-effectors if needed. We can also
> send joint trajectories (or null-space joint posture trajectories)
> through the same interface.
>
> Maybe this is not how you want the CartesianTrajectory msg to look,
> but I just thought I'd mention where we ended up after a few
> iterations, to have all the functionality we needed.

Interesting that you bring this up. The JointTrajectory and JointTolerance
messages are in fact applicable to non-joint data, albeit their name.
Furthermore, the de facto consumer of these messages, the
JointTrajectoryActionController is largely a spline interpolator, and joint
specifics appear in very localized places such as when interfacing with its
inputs/outputs, or to determine whether a joint is continuous (by reading
the URDF).

It makes a lot of sense in my mind to have a more generic interpolator
message and code that leverages it. As an obvious non-joint usecase, we
have some RGB led arrays, and it would be just great to reuse a generic nD
trajectory interpolator to control them.

@Mrinal, does your implementation provide a mechanism for specifying custom
interpolation functions for certain fields?; for example one might want to
interpolate orientation data represented by quaternions, whose components
are best not interpolated independently, but using slerp.

Cheers,

Adolfo.