Author: Patrick Wiesen
To: ros-users
Subject: [ros-users] Announcement of ROS In-hand scanner
I'd like to announce my first ROS package - the ROS In-hand scanner. It is
a 3D Scanning application based on the PCL In-hand scanner for small
objects by Martin Sälzle and the PCL developers.

Documentation can be found here:
http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/in_hand_scanner.php

Until now it was only possible to use OpenNI based sensors. I implemented a
standard ROS interface for PointCloud2 message type.

My first results using Intel RealSense can be seen in the following video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-EoR_OK9GCgcEw3V0l1ZnNPU2s/view

For the future it could be possible to create a RVIZ plugin, implement a
global registration or generate watertight meshes for 3D printing
applications.

For the moment have fun with scanning!
Patrick Wiesen
--