Author: Tully Foote via ros-users
To: ros-users
Subject: [ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Release] Ceres Package?

I'd suggest that we keep the 1.8 version of ceres for Indigo, and we work to get 1.11 working for Kinetic.

It looks like there's the cmake fix upstream in Yakkety in the version log http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/c/ceres-solver/ceres-solver_1.11.0~dfsg0-5/changelog

Would backporting that version to Xenial and Wily work for peoples' use cases?

@damonkohler This would solve releasing into Kinetic. I'm hesitant to backport 1.11 all the way into the indigo targets as that's a large version jump and I'm guessing that it's not entirely compatible. I think that one of the approaches we talked about offline might be best for releasing into indigo. This would involve embedding a version of ceres into a ROS package in a way that hides the symbols and include directory so they don't override/conflict with the system installation. (Possibly a static library and header files installed into a custom subdirectory.)

Also I see that 1.12 is now in stretch: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libceres-dev

---
[Visit Topic](http://discourse.ros.org/t/ceres-package/872/6) or reply to this email to respond.