Author: Hunter L. Allen via ros-users
To: ros-users
CC: Hunter L. Allen
Subject: [ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Installing Ubuntu 18.04 arm64v8 on Raspberry Pi 3

I built a ROS 1 image for Turtlebot 3 on Gentoo that was 64 bit a while back, I'll link here once I dig up the post.

I think @ruffsl was attempting to make an Ubuntu image, though, and was hoping for 64 bit.

I'll say, however, that 64 bit arm is not necessarily a great thing on the raspberry pi... The main benefits: you get 16 more registers than 32 bit mode and you get better compiler optimizations (the pi 3 has vectorization, **if you turn it on**), but you _only_ have the < 1 GB of RAM which makes doing most things in a 64 bit system quite difficult... I think this is one of the reasons the raspberry pi people don't use 64 bit mode by default.

Don't get me wrong: I use my raspberry pi 3 in 64 bit mode, have compiled ROS on Gentoo, and have been able to do a full GMapping demo with Turtlebot3. It's not useless, and it's not painfully slow. But doing any memory-intensive thing is awful.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/installing-ubuntu-18-04-arm64v8-on-raspberry-pi-3/6094/5) or reply to this email to respond.