Author: Nick Burek via ros-users
To: ros-users
CC: Nick Burek
Subject: [ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 Logging

We've created the first set of pull requests for the new logging features (links below). Our next steps are to work on adding rosout topic capability. As part of that we are planning on porting the Log message from ROS 1.

For the new ROS 2 message I would like to remove the list of topics the node is publishing on that is in each log message as I don't think it makes sense to include that with every logged line. I'll also be adjusting the verbosity level constants to match the values defined in the rcutils package. The final change I was looking at for this message was to move it into the common_interfaces/diagnostic_msgs package instead of keeping it in a rosgraph_msgs package.

Links to pull requests below.

rclcpp: [#582](https://github.com/ros2/rclcpp/pull/582)
rcl: [ros2/rcl#327](https://github.com/ros2/rcl/pull/327)
rcutils: [ros2/rcutils#127](https://github.com/ros2/rcutils/pull/127)