Author: ruffsl via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users
To: ros-users
CC: ruffsl via Discourse.ros.org
Subject: [ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Installing Ubuntu 18.04 arm64v8 on Raspberry Pi 3

For future reference or for others who end up finding this thread, the beginning of this week Ubuntu released preinstalled server images for Raspberry Pi, including a 64-bit ARM image for Raspberry Pi 3.

> ## Preinstalled server image
> The preinstalled-server image allows you to unpack a preinstalled version of Ubuntu onto a target device.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/18.04/release/

Additionally, the ubuntu wiki for Raspberry Pi has also been updated to include some more notes and setup guides for hardware acceleration, desktop GUI installation.

> ### Ubuntu 'classic'
> These are not Ubuntu Core images, but the 'classic' deb based image.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi#arm64

I've just tested the `ubuntu-18.04.2-preinstalled-server-arm64+raspi3.img.xz` image on a Raspberry Pi 3B. Installing and running ROS2 Crystal from the released debian binaries for arm64 from OSRF are working well. The ros2 cli is a little slow, but that just seems to be python on arm in general. I've starting testing out turtlebot3 ros2 packages from source, such as the hls_lfcd_lds_driver, and it'd been smooth sailing.

The only hiccup thus far has been the bluetooth. Thankfully the broadcom brcmfmac drivers for the wifi that come preinstalled are working fine with `nmtui`, but the `pi-bluetooth` package seems to be missing. While one can [manually `hciattach` the bluetooth device](https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1373126&sid=e60b87d874a912bfb9d7c8e15bfe4d4b#p1373126), I'm having trouble maintaining a pared connection using bluetoothctl and a ps4 controller for ros-joy due to missing dependencies. @kyrofa , would you know where I could ticket about the `pi-bluetooth` package?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/installing-ubuntu-18-04-arm64v8-on-raspberry-pi-3/6094/8) or reply to this email to respond.