[Ros-release] Building source-checkout catkin stacks

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Aug 24 12:54:32 UTC 2012

Hi,

does anyone know how to build on top of catkin stacks that are checked
out and built from source? Say you have a catkin stack A (containing
only messages), you build it in the "build" subdirectory and you want to
compile against it with a stack B? I had hoped to be able to do that by
just sourcing the autogenerated setup.bash in "build" but it does not
work (B still finds the system-installed version of A). Essentially,
this is the standard scenario of overlaying one package with a
development version, as I want to start porting release code to groovy.
Installing A globally on the system is a workaround, but this should not
be necessary as it potentially breaks other code which will start
linking to wrong versions. Releasing the package A and then waiting for
the build server to build A, installing it and then working on B is also
possible but very time-consuming especially if both A and B need to be
worked on.

Cheers,

--
Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg