[Ros-release] Groovy package dependency updates

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Sat Dec 15 09:07:10 UTC 2012

Hi everyone:

We have cleaned up the dependencies of the core ros packages as a result we
don't leak dependencies downstream improperly.  This broke a bunch of
packages that relied on these leaked dependencies.

We just did a hackathon to fix up most packages but we didn't have time or
access to fix all packages.  Please take a look at your packages if you see
that their build status is red on the build farm, hopefully the error will
be obvious.  If not please email us.  If it's gray, something downstream is
blocking it, and if it's yellow there's a warning, but it did build
successfuly.

Here's the summary of what we did for each package:

1) update package.xml to change build_depend(catkin) ->
buildtool_depend(catkin), or add buildtool_depend(catkin) if none was
specified.

2) Check if packages have warning on the buildfarm: either due to invalid
fields in package.xml or legacy setup.py style  The debbuild job history
will have yellow buttons, click on those will show warnings.

3) Remove dependencies on langs, genmsg and langs-dev in message packages,
they become build_depend on message_generation  and run_depend on
message_runtime.

The farm is actively rebuilding groovy and we'll be turning it over
regularly.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Tully