[Ros-release] Releasing from github directories / submodules?

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Dec 17 16:25:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

here's a (hopefully) quick question for the git[hub] experts among you.
Since Sourceforge will be discontinuing a few features soon and upgrade
to a new platform (which causes a change of the SVN repository URLs), I
am considering to move octomap development from sf.net to github. This
will hopefully ease contributions from other developers, and make the
release process easier for me (both into ROS with bloom and plain source
packages).

Is it possible to release from a subdirectory of the repo using bloom,
or is this not recommended in the Git workflow? The background is that
the octomap repository[1] has a certain structure where it contains the
main library ("octomap") and the separate visualization application
"octovis". You can download or check out the complete set of both
libraries (convenient for a user on a PC who wants to compile all
together), or separately (convenient for releasing into ROS or building
on a robot where you want to separate our the dependencies on Qt and
OpenGL). So far we have tagged and released this in a hybrid matter from
SVN, the top level (containing octomap and octovis) as source package
and the libraries separately for the debian packages with bloom. How
would I best proceed in mapping this to github repositories, keeping in
mind that both combined source packages and single tagged libraries
would be nice? Git submodules should work in that case if I understand
it correctly. Does this mean I have to maintain three repositories in
then end (octomap, octovis, and octomap-distribution combining them)?

Best,
Armin

[1] https://octomap.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/octomap/trunk/

--
Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg