[Ros-release] IPs in ROS_IP/ROS_HOSTNAME

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 12:03:01 UTC 2012

On 13 December 2012 17:44, Marcus Liebhardt <
marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> Can you be clearer about what troubles you're having? There shouldn't be
>> any changes in behavior.  If you are seeing some I'd suggest you file a
>> ticket on the appropriate github.  I'd expect
>> https://github.com/ros/ros_comm/issues?page=1&state=open We did merge
>> the IPv6 patches which might have caused a regression.
>>

> Well, I don't get any error messages, but roslaunch gets stuck at waiting
> for the nodelet manager's load nodelet service.
> I did tests with turtlebot and kobuki launchers. (I suggest kobuki_node
> minimal.launch for testing, since it is lightweight.)
> I will file a ticket at the repo you mentioned.
>
> Marcus
>
> Marcus,

Team up with Jihoon in the morning, he hit a similar problem with a rospy
listener working across a network connection, but the roscpp listener
failing. Get a good test situation running and make sure we're not missing
something goofy first.

Daniel.

>> Tully
>>
>> PS ROS_HOSTNAME is the superset of ROS_IP functionality, taking either a
>> hostname or IP.  It was designed to replace ROS_IP but we've never removed
>> the old environment variable as it's used in many places.  .
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Marcus Liebhardt <
>> marcus.liebhardt at rnd.yujinrobot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there!
>>> I'm running the second beta here (on an Ubuntu 64bit machine) and having
>>> troubles running nodelets, when I'm using an IP address in either ROS_IP or
>>> ROS_HOSTNAME.
>>> Using an IP address in ROS_MASTER_URI alone (no ROS_IP/ROS_HOSTNAME set)
>>> works fine. Names in ROS_HOSTNAME also don't cause any trouble.
>>>
>>> Is that a bug or do I miss something
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Marcus
>>>
>>> PS: Please let me know, in case there is a better place for
>>> release-related bugs and problems.
>>> PPS: I heard rumours, that ROS_IP is deprecated. Is that true?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marcus Liebhardt
>>> Control Engineer
>>> Yujin Robot
>>> 주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
>>> Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu,
>>> Seoul, 153-023, Republic of Korea
>>> Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
>>> Email: marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
>>> Phone: +82-70-46577073

>> --
>> Tully Foote
>> tfoote at willowgarage.com
>> (650) 475-2827
>>

> --
> Marcus Liebhardt
> Control Engineer
> Yujin Robot
> 주소: 대한민국 서울시 금천구 가산동 345-30 남성프라자 #601, 153-023.
> Address: Door #601, Namsung-Plaza, 345-30 Gasan-dong, Guemcheon-gu,
> Seoul, 153-023, Republic of Korea
> Website: http://www.yujinrobot.com
> Email: marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com
> Phone: +82-70-46577073

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin R&D: http://rnd.yujinrobot.com/