[Ros-release] Releasing from github directories / submodules?

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Dec 18 16:18:44 UTC 2012

Hi William,

On 2012-12-17 19:50, William Woodall wrote:
> Bloom allows you to have multiple packages in a single repository.
> After running bloom each package will be isolated to a branch and tagged.
Great, that's exactly what I was looking for. Indeed, these are like
separate packages in one repo. They will be versioned and tagged
together, so the version numbers match.

> For example, if you have a git repo with octomap and octovis in sub
> folders, each containing a catkin package.xml, then bloom will create
> a release/octomap and release/octovis branch and corresponding version
> tags.
Will this also work when releasing non-catkin packages? As I just
learned there should not be a package.xml as both packages are native
CMake libraries, and package.xml should be added only in the release
repo ...

> In short, if you keep octomap and octovis at the same version you can
> keep them in the same repository, otherwise I would recommend
> splitting them up.  There is little to no overhead to having another
> repository on github, and having someone checkout (or download a zip
> of) two repositories instead of one on Windows is not such a burden
> for them in my opinion, but it is up to you.
It's not only a matter of Windows but general source releases (without
ROS). If you download two versions you have to configure the lookup path
for octomap-config.cmake and ensure that it points to the right version
so that they. When you download our top-level project, the top-level
CMakeLists will take care of that and you just have to run "cmake .. &&
make" in the build directory to build all together.

Best,
Armin

--
Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg