[Ros-release] how to troubleshoot broken debs?

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 21:10:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Vincent Rabaud
<vrabaud at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> Here is how to debug it (I know, it is not trivial)
>
> Look for a few lines above when it is trying to build it:

>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy : Depends: yaml-cpp0.2.6-dev which is a
> virtual package.
>                                  Depends: libpcap0.8-dev but it is not going
> to be installed.
>                                  Depends: ros-fuerte-common-msgs but it is
> not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: ros-fuerte-diagnostics but it is
> not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: ros-fuerte-geometry but it is not
> going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: ros-fuerte-nodelet-core but it is
> not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: ros-fuerte-perception-pcl but it
> is not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: ros-fuerte-ros but it is not going
> to be installed.
>                                  Depends: ros-fuerte-ros-comm but it is not
> going to be installed.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
>      Remove the following packages:
> 1)     pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
>

> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy{a}
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 31 not upgraded.
>

> So it basically means that it is trying to install yaml-cpp0.2.6-dev. If you
> look at your yaml file:
> https://code.ros.org/svn/release/download/stacks/velodyne/velodyne-0.9.1/velodyne-0.9.1.yaml
> (that you can access by clicking on velodyne from
> http://www.ros.org/debbuild/fuerte.html ) it indeed contains that for
> precise.
>
> Now, if you look at that file:
> https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/blob/master/rosdep/base.yaml
> you can see that the yaml-cpp dependency for precise, it is called yaml-cpp
> and not yaml-cpp0.2.6-dev
>
> So when generating your yaml file, there basically was the wrong dependency
> exported for precise. That means you had not done 'rosdep update' before
> releasing. That's it !
>

> And pre-release should still work for dry stuff (used it last week)

Thanks a lot, Vincent!

I got bit by that once before, because I had previously updated a
clone of the rosdistro rosdep repo and that (by then out-of-date)
version was still in my search path.

That mistake is easy to make and really tough to find.

I really appreciate the help.
--
 joq