[Ros-release] catkin message build problem for Fuerte

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Mon Mar 12 16:40:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I want to update the comments in the sensor_msgs/NavSatFix message.
>>> This update is a clarification which arose in the NMEA GPS driver
>>> review:
>>>
>>>  http://ros.org/wiki/nmea_gps_driver/Reviews/2012-03-05_API_Review
>>>
>>> It should not break anything, but I hate to commit a change to
>>> sensor_msgs without a regression test.
>> [...]
>>> Can someone tell me how to build common_msgs in Fuerte?
>>>
>>> Should I commit this change, anyway? It should be safe.
>>
>> I don't have any more time to figure out how to build it on Fuerte. I
>> tested building it the old way on Electric (the message is the same),
>> and that works fine.
>>
>> Since this is a very low-risk update, I am committing it now without
>> Fuerte testing.
>
> I tried to kick off a prerelease test for common_msgs, but that no
> longer works. Where is that package built now? There is a
> ros-fuerte-common-msgs Debian pkg, but no entry in the
> fuerte.rosdistro or in the debbuild report:
>
>  http://www.ros.org/debbuild/fuerte.html

hi Jack,

The catkin-controlled stacks have their own build infrastructure,
which isn't yet complete.  Among other things, we're missing the
ability to do pre-release builds.  However, we do have per-stack devel
builds, which test trunk/master/tip of each stack against the very
latest debs of stacks on which they depend.  Your change to
common_msgs hasn't broken that build:
http://hudson.willowgarage.com:8080/view/fuerte_devel/job/ci-devel-common_msgs-fuerte-ubuntu-lucid-amd64/6/
What's missing here is a build and test of the stuff that depends on
common_msgs.  We'll bring that up as soon as we can.

	brian.