[Ros-release] Same release version number for different distros

Johannes Meyer meyer at fsr.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Nov 27 17:41:19 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

I had some trouble today with releasing some of our tu-darmstadt-ros-pkg
stacks in electric, which are already available for fuerte since a
couple of weeks. We use different source branches in the SVN for
electric and fuerte, mainly because of the different Gazebo plugin API.

I did not change the version numbers for the electric release, as in
terms of functionality the two are the same. The pre-release tests
succeeded (except lucid), but after the release the
debbuild-build-debs-electric jobs on hudson failed because the older,
incompatible tarballs from the fuerte release have been used instead of
a fresh copy of the electric branch.

Is it necessary to use different version numbers for different distros
if the sources differ? If yes, this should be documented somewhere in
the release pages of the wiki (http://www.ros.org/wiki/release).

Additionally, with the sample configuration from the wiki or
http://ros.org/doc/api/rospkg/html/distro_format.html, which has been
copied for most of the repos, there is only a single shared release-tag
folder for different source folders, as the release name is not
contained in the release-tag:

   ros-pkg-trunk:
     svn:
       dev: 'https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/stacks/$STACK_NAME/trunk'