[Ros-release] Catkinization & Bloom

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:29:16 UTC 2012

HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

>> On 2012-11-09 12:05, Daniel Stonier wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying catkinization & bloom for the first time on a very simple
msg/srv package (zeroconf_comms) which is having trouble building the
source debian on jenkins.

>>> It is not looking for the correct tag, in particular, it's not looking
for the increment number that is postfixed to the version number for the
package.

>> Afaik the rosdistro file tells the build job which version to check out,
it needs to exactly match the tagged one you released:
>> https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/blob/master/releases/groovy.yaml
>>
>> It appears to be 0.1.7 where it should be 0.1.7-0. The debian-increment
number now always gets added, and is 0 by default.

> Damn, I thought I checked that - I must have looked up fuerte's file at
the time.

> I wonder. This process could generate alot of pull requests and work on
both ends (developers and the rosdistro maintainers). Most of the time,
simply the highest version number is the valid choice. As an alternative to
specifying the exact version, would specifying the keyword 'latest' and
automating the selection process be useful (assuming people follow the
x.y.z pattern)?

You could even put version pointers in the bloom generated xxx-release repo
instead.

>> I usually directly edit the file at github to adjust the version
numbers, that will create a patch and pull request automatically - neat!