[Ros-release] REP for Third Party Package Releasing

Ruben Smits ruben.smits at intermodalics.eu
Wed Feb 20 22:40:30 UTC 2013

Hi William,

Op woensdag 20 februari 2013 schreef William Woodall (
wwoodall at willowgarage.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'wwoodall at willowgarage.com');>) het volgende:

> I have drafted a REP, tentatively REP-136, which is an Informational REP
> providing a recommendation for how to release third party packages into the
> ROS ecosystem. In this context a third party package is any software
> package which is used in the ROS ecosystem, but exists outside of the ROS
> ecosystem, and therefore is neither catkin based nor rosbuild based.
>
> You can find this draft REP here:
>

> https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/blob/release_third_party/rep-0136.rst
>
> And the pull request containing the drafting history is here:
>
> https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/23
>
> To summarize the recommendation, third party packages should:
>
>    - Have a package.xml
>       - Which run_depend's on catkin
>       - Has a <build_type> tag in the <export> section
>    - Install the package.xml
>
> Notice this recommendation does not involve buildtool_depend'ing on
> catkin, and it does not require the use of catkin in the build system. This
> can either be accomplished by putting the package.xml and its install rule
> into the upstream repository of the third party library or by injecting the
> package.xml and install rule into the release repository using bloom.

Is the functionality described in the REP already available in catkin and
bloom? In other words, can we try out the described functionality?

Ruben

> The REP covers many more details related to the rationale of this
> recommendation, consequences of this style of releasing third party
> packages, and links to resources related to this change.
>
> Please submit any feedback to the ros-sig-buildsystem mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> William Woodall
> Willow Garage - Software Engineer