[Ros-release] Naming of 3rd-party packages

Piyush piyushk at gmail.com
Fri May 3 05:42:02 UTC 2013

Hi Tully,

I really appreciate the detailed response. For the particular case of
libfreenect and libsegwayrmp, I'll try my best to summarize with my limited
knowledge on this problem.

1) I completely understand the concern about upstream packages being
diverged. From what I have seen on the OpenKinect mailing list, an upstream
release is unlikely as all the primary developers are busy with other work.
The issue has come up a couple of times in the last 6 months, but does not
go anywhere. The current system release is pretty dated, and does not suit
our requirements (USB 3.0 support, accessing multiple kinects by serial
number). If someone new decides to do a release, there is some chance that
it might diverge depending on what features they want in the system release.
2) A PPA is certainly feasible, though it means extra overhead that I would
very much like to avoid. At the same time, I am willing to go with this
option as a last resort.

It seems to me that the easiest solution for this problem would be one of
the following (based on what Jack suggested in his original email):
1) Make it mandatory to release a pkg-config file for a 3rd party package
while releasing through Bloom. If I am not mistaken, these packages can
then be treated as catkin dependencies. This would be similar to how 3rd
party packages were released through rosbuild in the past. At the same
time, this would allow distro specific 3rd party releases to be made with
the current infrastructure.
2) Embed distro resolution into rosdep, and resolve a ros-libfreenect
dependency as ros-<distro>-libfreenect. This would require changes to the
rosdep infrastructure. This should again allow for distro specific 3rd
party releases.

Thanks!
Piyush