[ros-release] What is the status of code.ros.org?

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Tue Oct 1 20:28:28 UTC 2013

We do not have it in our contract with OSU to host a svn server there.

Jack can you give us concrete places where 'code.ros.org/svn' is referenced
directly. We reviewed the wiki and auto-generated documentation for
problems like this, but we certainly did not do an exhaustive review of
everything out there.

It is a lot of effort on our part to migrate such services and continue to
keep them running. For instance we will not be able to keep the trac
instances at 'code.ros.org/trac' it is simply too much for us to maintain.
With proper justification we might be able to do something about the svn
repo, but we should investigate the cost vs benefit and see if there are
other ways to resolve the dead links other than hosting yet another web
service for posterity.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Dirk Thomas <dthomas at osrfoundation.org>wrote:
>
>> On 01.10.2013 11:44, Jack O'Quin wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Dirk Thomas <dthomas at osrfoundation.org<mailto:
>>> dthomas at osrfoundation.**org <dthomas at osrfoundation.org>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Tully has announced on ros-users that everybody should migrate
>>> repositories away from kforge.ros.org <http://kforge.ros.org> /
>>> code.ros.org <http://code.ros.org>
>>>     (http://lists.ros.org/__**pipermail/ros-users/2013-__**
>>> September/067953.html<http://lists.ros.org/__pipermail/ros-users/2013-__September/067953.html><
>>> http://lists.ros.org/**pipermail/ros-users/2013-**September/067953.html<http://lists.ros.org/pipermail/ros-users/2013-September/067953.html>
>>>
>>>     Simply because we have (nearly) no control over these servers
>>> anymore and they might go away anytime.
>>>

>>> Doesn't OSRF control the ros.org <http://ros.org> DNS names? Would OSU
>>> host those repos?
>>>

>> Yes, OSRF does control ros.org by now.
>> But we do not host any repository via ros.org.
>> You should migrate them to available hosting platforms like GitHub,
>> BitBucket, SourceForge, <fill in whatever you like>.
>>
>>      If the repos have not yet been migrated I can only advise every
>>> maintainer to grab their code and put it somewhere else or it might
>>> suddenly disappear...
>>>

>>> When it does, a lot of Electric and Fuerte users are going to be very
>>> unhappy. And, the ROS wiki will be badly broken.
>>>

>> If you have any suggestions to avoid that please let us know.
>>

> How about making a read-only copy of those repositories on the OSU servers
> and redirecting "https://code.ros.org/svn" there? That way the
> information will not be lost and the wiki will not get broken.
>
> Anyone wanting to modify one of those packages to make a bug fix, for
> example, would need to copy it somewhere else before making the change,
> then re-release it from there. Some of them might even remember to update
> rosdistro accordingly.
> --
>  joq

William Woodall