[ros-release] Most of previous pre-release tests have failed

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 02:50:43 UTC 2013

On 2 October 2013 10:44, Dirk Thomas <dthomas at osrfoundation.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>>              That link uses the release repo. The devel test can come
>> before all that.
>>
>>                  That's what a devel prerelease is.  The devel test is
>> against the source as defined in source.yaml using key matching against
>> release.yaml. The latest and version numbered prereleases go
>>                  against the release repo tags.
>>

>>         We've been struggling with this for a bit now. Could sit down and
>> spend a couple of hours testing the process, but would be far easier to
>> pick some brains here.
>>
>>         Is the devel test is against the tag identified by the version
>> key in release.yaml? If that is true, the workflow for pre-releases would
>> still seem awkward to me.
>>
>>         Daniel.
>>

>>     As mentioned by Tully and Jack in the last emails: the devel tests
>> use the source repos defined in https://github.com/ros/__**
>> rosdistro/blob/master/hydro/__**source.yaml<https://github.com/ros/__rosdistro/blob/master/hydro/__source.yaml>
>>     <https://github.com/ros/**rosdistro/blob/master/hydro/**source.yaml<https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/blob/master/hydro/source.yaml>
>> >.
>>

>>     I have also update the wiki page which describes the prereleases and
>> devel jobs:
>>     http://wiki.ros.org/__**regression_tests<http://wiki.ros.org/__regression_tests><
>> http://wiki.ros.org/**regression_tests<http://wiki.ros.org/regression_tests>
>> >

>>     - Dirk
>>
>> Ok, feeling like quite a dunderhead here. So decided to do some testing
>> and here's what I can conclude about the devel prerelease along with some
>> questions:
>>

> You should not need to conclude about what prereleases do.
> If the description (http://wiki.ros.org/**regression_tests<http://wiki.ros.org/regression_tests>)
> is not sufficient please provide feedback what needs clarfication then we
> can update the wiki page.
>

>    * It's downloading a rosinstall file generated with the source repo url
>> and version key branch.
>>   * Not all entries in source.yaml <https://github.com/ros/**
>> rosdistro/blob/master/hydro/**source.yaml<https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/blob/master/hydro/source.yaml>>
>> have a version key.
>>       o I expect this means it downloads the default branch for the
>> repository.
>>

> That is correct.
> I added that clarification to the wiki page: http://wiki.ros.org/**
> regression_tests?action=diff<http://wiki.ros.org/regression_tests?action=diff>
>

>        o This is probably the cause of the confusion we've had trying to
>> work out what pre-releases are actually building.
>>   * Why do some have a version key and some don't? How is it
>> automatically added?
>>

> Nothing happens automatically for that.
> Whatever a maintainer puts into that file will be used: a branch name, a
> tag name or nothing which implies the default branch.

Ok, crystal now. I was wondering if source.yaml shouldn't be touched (I
can't remember doing any pull requests to source.yaml, just to
release.yaml, so something must be auto-generating the initial footprint
there).

Thanks - I'll pass on the collective wisdom to our group.

>  Tully's comment 'using key matching against release.yaml' threw me in the
>> previous email. I'm not sure what that is imparting.
>>

> Tully referes to the fact that there is no relation between a release.yaml
> and source.yaml file.
> When selecting a repo the prerelease website just assumes that the
> repository name is the same in both both.
> That should be the case but is not strictly enforced anywhere.
>
> - Dirk

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin R&D: http://rnd.yujinrobot.com/