[ros-release] Most of previous pre-release tests have failed

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 02:45:11 UTC 2013

On 3 October 2013 02:50, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Mike Purvis <
> mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com> wrote:
>
>> Discoverability of information on the ROS wiki is pretty big problem,
>> IMO—there could almost be an entire SIG for documentation, with the
>> objective of finding, updating, and drawing attention to resources like the
>> regression_tests page referenced above.
>>

> A documentation team would help, and I am happy to participate.
>
> But, I do not think the ROS documentation problem can be solved without
> serious OSRF coordination. Until at least one core developer has
> documentation as the top-priority task, things will continue to become ever
> more murky.

Agreed. Getting a sig to contribute to development with goals that appeal
to their self-interests is hard enough. Documentation doesn't even fit
that.

> A simple starting point could even just be a banner or something which
>> pops up every day over the wiki with a new suggested read, eg:
>>
>> - "Releasing debs of your package is easier than you think. Click here
>> for an entry-level tutorial."
>> - "Submit your package idea for an API review, and receive suggestions
>> from ROS experts. Click for details."
>> - "Did you know? The ROS community servers can build and test your
>> packages as you make commits to them. Click for details on continuous
>> integration."
>> - "Did you know? The roslaunch_add_file_check macro can check your
>> package for missing launch file dependencies."
>> - "The best packages have great documentation. An example of this is the
>> xxxx package."
>>
>> Heck, could almost just be a twitter account.
>>

> An excellent idea, Mike!
>
> I suggest ros-users, instead of twitter. We need to get these messages out
> to the wider ROS community, and that's the best place to reach most of them.
> --

I think that's a good place to start - for topics like this thread  it
would be great to have someone summarise the confusion and mayhem with a
short, concise post (should be mostly a list of pointers to relevant links)
to ros-users. Maybe with a bracketed keyword in the title like [ROS TIPS]
for easy thread searching later. But a live trickle of input would help
everybody rather than having it all lurking somewhere with 500+ users each
spending time in parallel to discover it.

Daniel.