[ros-release] dropping unmaintained Ubuntu distributions ?

Vincent Rabaud vincent.rabaud at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 10:01:46 UTC 2014

Hi all,

just a thought: we've had problems with Quantal and Oneiric builds in the
past. And I see the same thing now on Saucy (
http://jenkins.ros.org/view/IbinS32/job/ros-indigo-rospilot_binarydeb_saucy_i386/
simply because for some reason,
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libgphoto2-2-dev was not released in
Saucy).
Indigo is also an LTS for 5 years and I doubt we'll keep maintaining 10
Ubuntu distributions.

Wouldn't completing REP003 with dropping an Ubuntu distribution once it's
out of life a good thing ? Do we have stats on package downloads to back
that up ? Docs for what to drop here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
That would also obviously make bloom and builds faster (or cheaper).

Thoughts ?