[ros-release] [ros-users] Jenkins spams me with same error - 404

Martin Günther mguenthe at uos.de
Tue Nov 24 08:51:36 UTC 2015

Hi Tully,

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 17:27:58 -0800
Tully Foote via ros-release <ros-release at lists.ros.org> wrote:

> We work very hard to keep the amount of emails that jenkins sends to a
> minimum. I group the fauilres into three categories. First there are
> the good ones, which are the failures where something is failing to
> build or test and the maintainer can fix them. The second is that
> there are specific known issues on a specific arch or paltform which
> the maintainers cannot or chooses not to fix. And sometimes there are
> systematic failures such as a service goes offline that will fail
> jobs early in unrecoverable ways. (For example a hosting provider
> like github or ubuntu going offline, or a filesystem getting
> corrupted)

Travis solves this by distinguishing between "failed" and "errored"
states. "Failed" is the first kind of failure that you mention:
something goes wrong in my "script" section. "Errored" is the other
kind, where something goes wrong in my "install" section (when
setting up the dependencies, i.e., not my fault). I get an email from
travis when something fails, not when it errors. It would be nice if
Jenkins would do the same thing.

Cheers,
Martin

--