[ros-release] Build Farm Spam and Debugging

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Thu Apr 7 16:32:21 UTC 2016

I think the exclamation points in your name are breaking the unicode
parsing on the debian target. Looking at the documentation the maintainer
field only supports ASCII characters.

The debian maintainer field format is defined by RFC822
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Maintainer
There's a note about problems with full stop.

And RFC822 can be seen here
https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822/3_Lexical.html

I think it's likely that debian is more strict in it's interpretation of
the formatting. And the quickest solution will be to remove the characters
from the maintainer name. It could either be patched in the jessie specific
branch in the release repo. The simplest solution is a rerelease without
the characters.

You could open an issue on
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/ros_buildfarm and we could look at
sanitizing the characters in that field, but developing the correct
replacement/substitituion policy may be a challenge.

B) Sourcedebs are triggered on a 15 minute cycle since people want them to
come out quickly. We typically will roll back any releases which fail their
sourcedeb jobs since it's rarely a platform specific issue. And if the
sourcedeb is not working we might as well pull it from the farm.

Tully