[ros-release] Devel jobs and compiler warnings in Kinetic

Dirk Thomas dthomas at osrfoundation.org
Tue May 17 18:06:40 UTC 2016

The new build farm was already detecting compiler warnings but didn't do
anything about them - until now. If a devel job (same for PR jobs which
only have a different trigger mechanism) has compiler warnings the job will
become unstable. This also results in a notification being sent to the
maintainers, the same as if a job fails.

Since we don't want to change the behavior of the numerous devel jobs of
already released distributions this has only been enabled for Kinetic. Of
the 154 existing devel jobs in Kinetic only 18 have compiler warnings but
are "green" otherwise. We think it is reasonable for the maintainers to
address those.

If it happens to be a repository you maintain you might have already or
will in the near future receive an email from Jenkins about this. Please
consider taking the short amount of time to address the compiler warning in
your code. The greater benefit is that all the other packages will benefit
from this stricter check and can get notified properly when a regression
indicated by a compiler warning happens.

Thank you,
- Dirk