[ros-users] Detecting Glass Walls

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 16:39:38 UTC 2010

Hey all,

After looking at the wiki for ROS sonar packages, I started wondering.
Currently, the robots I work on have issues detecting glass walls, as
their primary range sensor is a SICK LMS291, which pings right through
the glass (obviously). To solve this for a robotic tour guide
application, we are looking into sonars.

So my question is, what are some approaches that you use to detect
things such as glass walls that both LIDARs and cameras might have
trouble with? Can the PR2 see glass walls and, if so, how?

Thanks
Eric Perko
wisesage5001 at gmail.com
eric.perko at case.edu