[ros-users] Gazebo Questions

Daniel Hewlett dhewlett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 20:46:18 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

We're working on a project that requires us to repeatedly reset/reconfigure
the Gazebo simulator to run simulations under various conditions (different
objects in different places, etc.), and in trying to do so I have
encountered some issues. I have a couple of questions:

1) Removing objects (using the delete_model service) doesn't seem to work
when the object has any controllers attached to it, specifically the ones
from gazebo_plugins. I'm not totally in tune with what's going on in the
Gazebo code, but it seems that objects might be getting deleted without
deleting/deactiving child controllers first. Is this an issue in the code
base, or am I doing something wrong?

2) If I want to control the simulation itself (reset, pause, etc.), it seems
that I need to access the World instance, which I can do through a plugin.
Would it be better to do it through a plugin than to simply write my own
"main.cc" for Gazebo, which advertises services such as "pause_simulation"?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel