[ros-users] Hokuyo intensity values

Abe Bachrach abachrach at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 23:57:50 UTC 2010

Hi there,
I started looking at the intensity values that you can get from the hokuyo
UTM laser scanners, but was seeing a much wider fluctuation in the values
than I would have expected...
from looking at my own data, and the data posted on the calibration wiki
http://pr.willowgarage.com/wiki/Scanner_to_camera_calibration

it seems that the values are normally somewhere between 0 and 6000. However
every once in a while, they'll go as high as ~15000.

In the documentation posted here:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/hokuyo_node?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=UTM-30LX_Specification.pdf
it says that the intensity is a function of distance... is there a good way
to normalise out the distance factor so that intensity values can be
compared on a normalised 0 to 1 range?

How have you guys generally worked with the intensity info.

thanks in advance!
-=Abe