[ros-users] slam_gmapping with two hokuyo_node

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Tue Apr 13 15:08:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:03 AM, Manabu Saito <saito at jsk.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> I have a robot with hokuyo_node one on front and another on back.
> Is it possible to use two hokuyo nodes for building map using
> slam_gmapping packages?
> I launched two hokuyo_nodes that send sensor_msgs/LaserScan to the
> same /base_scan topic, but it does not seem to work.

The slam_gmapping node only supports a single laser. It latches the
laser's pose when it receives the first scan, so sending scans from
multiple lasers will definitely confuse things.

The underlying gmapping library might support multiple lasers; I'm not
sure.  If it does, then the slam_gmapping node could be extended to
expose this functionality.  A patch to do this extension would be most
welcome!

A similar extension was contributed for amcl:
  https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/2512

	brian.