[ros-users] problems with nav_view / nav stack

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Fri Apr 16 21:12:33 UTC 2010

Dan,

Those are strange problems to have. A hunch I have is that nav_view has
dropped its TCP connection to the robot for one reason or another on certain
topics. This happens to us sometimes when we're switching between being
connected to our robots over ethernet to wireless or when we lose
connectivity to the robot for long periods of time. I'd be curious about a
few things:

1) Can you get things to start displaying in nav_view by running the
following command:
     rosrun topic_tools relay [missing_topic_name] [missing_topic_name]
    This will re-advertise the topic and cause nav_view to refresh its TCP
connections.

2) Are you sure that the robot can connect to the machine that's running
nav_view? Have you been running rostopic echo on the robot itself? Or on the
local machine?

3) If you use rviz, do you see the same kind of problems. If this is a
network issue, I'd expect you to see the same problems, but it'd be useful
to know.

Hopefully this helps or we at least find out more about what's going on.

Hope all is well,

Eitan