[ros-users] Manipulation stacks and objects database 0.2 released

Matei Ciocarlie matei at willowgarage.com
Tue Aug 3 23:57:45 UTC 2010

We are happy to announce the release of a number of stacks that
provide core functionality for grasping and manipulation tasks, as
well as example applications on the PR2 robot. These include:

object_manipulation
pr2_object_manipulation
tabletop_object_perception
pr2_tabletop_manipulation_apps

Additional details, tutorials and example application can be found on
the ROS Wiki. Good places to start checking out the available
functionality are:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/object_manipulation
(for core, robot-independent functionality)

http://www.ros.org/wiki/pr2_tabletop_manipulation_apps
(for applications, demos and tutorials on the PR2 robot).

Complementing the manipulation stacks is a database of household
objects containing information relevant for manipulation tasks, along
with its ROS interface. Details can be found at:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/household_objects_database

Please note that these are "research stacks", under active
development. While we have put a lot of effort into reviewing and
documenting them, they are likely to be less stable than "core" ROS
stacks which have reached 1.x releases. That said, we believe that
they will provide useful functionality for building towards complex
mobile manipulation applications.

Any feedback, bug reports or success stories of using these stacks
will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Your Merry ROS Manipulation Mob