[ros-users] Three Robots: One ROS Node

Trevor Jay tjay at cs.brown.edu
Wed Aug 4 03:07:37 UTC 2010

Hi ROS-Users!

Recently thanks to the very nice people at Bosch and their remote lab
efforts, we were able play around with an actual PR2. We wanted to
share the following video of a single ROS node (svn co
https://brown-ros-pkg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/experimental/nolan
nolan) running completely unmodified on three very different robots
(including the PR2).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKmqgVUbQQM

Each of the robots is using ar_recog our ROS-compatible wrapper around
ARToolkit to localize ARTags. A simple PID controller then directs
them in following. As the Nao does not recognize Twist msgs, we have a
simple ten-liner rebroadcasting them as Walk msgs, but even here the
the original control node is running unmodified.

Anyone interested in the vision stack can check it out at the brown
ros pkg repository ( http://code.google.com/p/brown-ros-pkg/ ).

Thanks everyone in the community who's helping to bring about this
level of portability.

_RLAB (Robot Learning and Autonomy @ Brown)