[ros-users] Some questions over gmapping, map_server and AMCL and using them together (if possible)

rfavier raphael.favier at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 14:55:40 UTC 2010

Dear all,

It has been a few days that I am playing with the navigation stack,
map_server, gmapping and AMCL.
And there are a few points I cannot clarify despite my extensive reading of
the package's documentation.
I am sorry if those questions sounds basic but I am getting confused in how
to make those system interact together.

a) Is it possible to initialize gmapping with an existing map?
If I run map_saver on a yaml file, the stored map appears in rviz and stays
until I run gmapping, who decides to start the map over.
=> run robot config + navigation
=> run map_server on an existing yaml file   (I see the map in rviz)
=> run gmapping with default parameters     (the mapping process restarts
from scratch)
Am I doing something wrong or is it just not possible?

b) Can I run AMCL in concurrence with gmapping?
trying to run both AMCL and gmapping proved to be quite a bad idea: my map
frame kept jumping under what I think is the common influence of both
gmapping and AMCL, as they both act on the transform map->odom (if I am
correct).
=> run robot config + navigation
=> run map_server with no parameters
=> run gmapping with default parameters (the mapping process starts)
=> run AMCL with non-holomnic configuration (map jumps)
Once again, is it possible or am I just doing something wrong?

Also, would it be possible to see the other part(s) of the navigation
tutorial available on youtube? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ_-jAtGyZQ).

Thanks in advance

Raphael