[ros-users] Solved: Using rosjava with cturtle .deb packages

Moritz Tenorth tenorth at cs.tum.edu
Thu Aug 12 15:34:05 UTC 2010

Hi,

since rosjava is still experimental, the Java files generated for
messages and services of the common stacks are not contained in the
binary .deb packages. This creates problems when rosjava packages depend
(directly or indirectly) on these messages or services.

In order to use rosjava packages together with a ROS binary
installation, we built a .jar file that contains all required .class
files for the cturtle release. To use it, you just need to download it
[1] and add it to your ROSJAVA_AUX_CLASSPATH environment variable. It
will be added at the end of the classpath that rosjava uses for
compilation, so if you have overlaid source packages for some of the
messages, they will be used instead. See also [2]

We chose this solution since it does not require any changes to the
packages and works with multiple binary/source installations. You can
create your custom .jar file by just adapting the dependencies in the
rosjava_deps package [1], compiling it and calling `make jar`.  Thanks
to Lorenz for help with the implementation!

best,
Moritz

[1]
http://tum-ros-pkg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tum-ros-pkg/utils/rosjava_deps/rosjava_msgs.jar
[2] http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosjava#Rosjava_with_CTurtle_debian_packages

Dipl.-Ing. Moritz Tenorth      | tenorth at cs.tum.edu
Technische Universität München | Karlstr. 45
80333 München                  | Germany
ias.cs.tum.edu/people/tenorth  | Tel: +49 89 289 26912