[ros-users] rospy and roslib on Windows OS

ros_user at yahoo.co.jp ros_user at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Aug 13 10:27:27 UTC 2010

Hi, all.

I've done following tutorial and tried to publish/subscribe topics between Window OS and Linux OS.

http://www.ros.org/wiki/cturtle/Installation/Windows

----------------------

My environment is as follows.

------

1. Windows side

Windows XP Professional SP3

Copied compiled roslib, rospy, std_msgs, talker.py, and listener.py. (All are compiled in Linux OS with the version cturtle)

The line "roslib.load_manifest("package_name")" of talker.py and listener.py is commented out.
(
The code is base on
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Tutorials/WritingPublisherSubscriber%28python%29
)

ROS_MASTER_URI=http://192.168.0.6:11311

ROS_ROOT is correctly modified.

PYTHONPATH for roslib, rospy and std_msgs is correctly set.

python2.6 and Pyyaml for python2.6 installed.

------

2. Linux side

Ubuntu 10.04

#uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 06:07:29 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Installed ROS cturtle

IP : 192.168.0.6
 hostname : ubuntu

ROS_MASTER_URI=http://localhost:11311

 # python --version
Python 2.6.5

------

When I run roscore on the Linux side and both listener/talker on the Windows side, the messages between two nodes are correctly sent.
I could see the messages for both terminals in Windows OS.

On the linux side
# rostopic list
/chatter
/rosout
/rosout_agg

so I tried to see
# rostopic echo /chatter
but I couldn't see anything even when I could see messages on the two terminals in the Windows side.

When I run
# rxgraph
I saw strange nodes.
Nomally all nodes contains just one black circle,
but the nodes created on Windows OS contain double red circles.
When I clicked the talker node, I got following error.

ERROR: Communication with node[http://ihcikuy:1586/] failed!

The lister node on rxgraph has different name like "listener_1104_128...." and also surrounded by double red circles.
When I clicked the lister node, I got

ERROR: Communication with node[http://ihcikuy:1586/] failed!

Since ROS_MASTER_URI on the Windows machine was set to be "192.168.0.6", it cannot be "ihcikuy".

------

Does anybody has same kind of experience?
What's the problem?

Also, I tried to run lister.py on Linux and talker.py on Windows,
but I couldn't get any results.

Did I make mistakes following the tutorial?

Any information are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Keisuke