[ros-users] Ubuntu packages dependencies

Konrad Banachowicz konradb3 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 19:18:10 UTC 2010

Hi,
I recently started moving our mobile robots toward ROS.
But i had some problems with heavy dependencies on ROS binary packages.
Our robots are build around embedded PC104 PC with 4GB CF drive.
We use it with minimal installation of ubuntu linux.

When i tried to install ROS from repo, i realized that only ros-cturtle-ros
require more than 1GB of dependencies.
Many core ROS packages depends on X11, texlive, wx, opengl ... , witch are
useless on board of mobile robot.

I think that the GUI utilities should be separated from their stacks, that
fine-grained packaging will make packaging system more flexible.

Pozdrawiam
Konrad Banachowicz