[ros-users] Grig Map using Poineer Robot

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 01:55:40 UTC 2010

Hi safdar,  I recommend you start with the slam_gmapping node's tutorials (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/slam_gmapping/Tutorials/MappingFromLoggedData).
 Once you can generate a map from the given example bag, then you can
experiment with the pioneer.  You can either rosbag the required information
(/tf: provided by the p2os node, which is the node that interfaces with the
pioneer, and the /scan topic which is provided by sicklms), or you can
generate the map in real time.  I recommend starting with the rosbag
technique because it is more like the tutorial.  Also, there is some
information on how to setup and collect the data you need here:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/slam_gmapping/Tutorials/MappingFromLoggedData#rosrecord.
 With this setup you have to teleop the robot around to collect data for the
map.  If you want your robot to automatically explorer for you I recommend
looking at Bosch's explore pkg: http://www.ros.org/wiki/explore

Hope that helps,
<http://www.ros.org/wiki/explore>
William Woodall