[ros-users] Three Robots: One ROS Node

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Aug 4 08:09:20 UTC 2010

Hi Trevor,
> Recently thanks to the very nice people at Bosch and their remote lab
> efforts, we were able play around with an actual PR2. We wanted to
> share the following video of a single ROS node (svn co
> https://brown-ros-pkg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/experimental/nolan
> nolan) running completely unmodified on three very different robots
> (including the PR2).
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKmqgVUbQQM

That looks really nice!

> Each of the robots is using ar_recog our ROS-compatible wrapper around
> ARToolkit to localize ARTags. A simple PID controller then directs
> them in following. As the Nao does not recognize Twist msgs, we have a
> simple ten-liner rebroadcasting them as Walk msgs, but even here the
> the original control node is running unmodified.

Did you have a look at our current nao stack (v0.2 or trunk) in
alufr-ros-pkg? The nao_walker node
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao_ctrl#nao_walker) accepts Twist as a cmd_vel
topic which gets then forwarded to Nao's omniwalk engine (NaoQI 1.6).
This produces a quite stable walk with a smooth change of the walking
direction and speed without stopping.

Best regards,
Armin

--
Armin Hornung                              Albert-Ludwigs-Universität
www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~hornunga   Dept. of Computer Science