[ros-users] Simulation Goal

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Wed Aug 4 23:17:44 UTC 2010

Hi Sam,

I would suggest that you try out the existing tutorials for stage and or
gazebo http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_stage/Tutorials   and
http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/Tutorials  and from there you
should have an idea of how to use simulation.

What you want to do in using a partial robot, is equivalent to making and
configuring your own robot and although completely doable,
(The fundamentals are explained in one of the above linked tutorials)  the
complications required will hamper your learning of the rest of the systems.

Tully

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Sam Quintanar <robosq at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I'd like to start using the PR2 simulation.
> I've already done the PR2 installation and gone through the first 18 of the
> beginners_tutorials and completed the questionnaire at the end.
>
> My first goal is to play with "only" the "omnidirectional base" of the PR2
> to get a good feel of how the simulation works and what it takes to run the
> omnidirectional base software-wise.
> *1- What must I do to see "only" the base operate in simulation?*
>
> My second goal is to purchase the hardware for the omnidirectional base and
> see it actually work.
>
> *2- Is my first goal feasible, and if so, what are the steps I need to
> take toward my goal?*
> Please point me to where I need to start concerning using and customizing
> the simulation.
>
> Thanks..........and BTW....THIS IS A FANTASTIC USERSLIST!! THE BEST I'VE
> EVER ENCOUNTERED!
>
> SamQ

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer